Monday, April 11, 2011

Country Mouse City Mouse


I recently visited the quaint town of Savannah, Georgia. It was a nice light jacket weather. What NYC offers in the Fall or early Spring, unlike the year long summer weather of Florida with a touch of blasty coldness which lasts a total of a week combined.
It was so nice. Cobblestone streets, bike riders, runners, frisbee players, random people standing on corners chatting about the current events.
Then you meet my husband. Texan born, Florida raised. The type that grew up in white picket fence neighborhoods, no crime schools. Him being law enforcement for a low income, crime ridden city where people don't respect even their mother, or sister. Yea, the type you see on COPS, where they screw even their own sister's man and gets pregnant while they themselves are married. Also serving the military busting big time drug deals. I'm sure after years of this has made him quite aware that the world is not so friendly afterall.
Myself, I grew up deep in Brooklyn, NY. I went to HS & college in the city. I've learned to avoid certain places, types of people at certain times. Street smarts, something most people in Florida doesn't have. I let my guard down which is why my husband thinks I'm naive & "unaware of my surroundings". Honestly, I don't care. It's not the same.
This summer, I'm planning to finally take him around NYC and have him see my old stomping grounds. Where I grew up, where I hung out, my friends, family, the bars. I'm so excited. I usually crash at my moms and visit friends. This time I might have to suck it up and hit the god awful touristy spots. I'm dreading taking his paranoid ass thru crowds of pushy ny'rs. Im either going to be arguing with him or pulling him thru crowds. The dirty city. The immigrants. The best dirty restaurants. The smelly alleyways. The horrible traffic. The multicultural rudeness. This will def be an interesting trip. I can't wait! This is my home. My place. My territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment